Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Farewell Sunday

(This was originally published on our family blog November 9, 2013)

Today Kelly gave his farewell talk at church.  He did such an excellent job - he hates speaking in front of people, but you never would have guessed.  One of my favorite parts of his talk was this:

"A few months ago I realized that there is a huge difference between having faith and acting on faith. The people that know me know that I loathe radical change, I am perfectly happy with something being the same day in and day out. Serving a mission, however, is quite a change, and because of that I was afraid to do so.  There are countless examples in the scriptures of people spreading the gospel, but my scripture study brought me to one example time and time again, and that was the story of Enoch. After the Lord had told Enoch what he wanted him to do :
'Enoch
bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.' (Moses 6:26-27) I spent a fair amount of time thinking this over, and I believe that Enoch was afraid to serve because he didn't think he was good enough. But once the Lord reassured him that he could and would succeed, he went forth to be one of the best prophets of all time. My time spent studying the scriptures has given me much reassurance and has helped me to decide to serve a mission."


I am thankful for Kelly - for the good decisions he is making and for the experiences he is going to have in Africa.  I am thankful that we get to claim him as part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment