Wednesday, November 27, 2013

the big day is here

It has been such a privilege to be part of Kelly's life the last two years.  His self-confidence has grown with his testimony of the gospel.  There will be a big hole in our hearts and our home as he serves in South Africa.  But - I wouldn't want it any other way.  I am so proud of him, and excited for the experiences, opportunities to serve and blessings that he will have.

On Monday I was thankful for one last trip to Starbucks (well, for two years anyway.)


Kelly was my errand buddy.  He doesn't really like to sit around, so any time I was going to Walmart to get groceries, or running to Wenatchee, or just wanting a cocoa, he was game.  I will miss our chats.

Yesterday was the big day!  We left the house at 6:30 am, making sure to leave enough time so that we could stop in Entiat for one more hug from Carrie.  While enjoying the beautiful sunrise, I couldn't help wondering how they will look in Johannesburg.


Our next stop was President Hunsaker's office, where Kelly officially became Elder McClellan.  Joe and I were allowed to come in for his blessing and setting apart.  What an amazing, powerful, spiritual experience!  One part that brought me great comfort was the promise that he would feel angels around him, lifting him up and protecting him.


We had just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat and then we went to the airport.  Pretty impressive that everything Kelly will need for the next two years is contained in two suitcases!


One last photo before it was time to say goodbye...


I have been tracking the flights online.  First stop Seattle - what was supposed to be a 6 hour layover ended up being 9.  He left for London at 9 pm, arriving at 615 am our time.  As I type this, he is having another layover, waiting to depart on his 10 hour flight to South Africa.  He should arrive in Johannesburg at 1130 pm our time.  I am earnestly praying that he has somehow been able to get some sleep, that he has had nice people to sit by, that he is able to find the other missionaries he is supposed to meet up with in London, and that his luggage safely arrives.  So I am also grateful for the power of prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment