Monday, July 13, 2015

week 83

Let's see here. This week was amazing. We taught a lot! We met a whole bunch of new people and had to go to Pretoria twice. On Wednesday we went and met President Wilson. He seems pretty great and on Friday we had Zone Meeting. It was funny though, with the change in boundaries our zone is more like a district, haha. Not many of us at all. 


At the start of last week I really wanted to find something in the scriptures that would help me to finish strong. My motivation comes from Paul (Romans 12:1)

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

I found this scripture a day or two after interviews last week and it helped me to realize that I may be in Africa and teaching the gospel, but in a few ways I've never made the sacrifice that was asked of me. But with this as motivation I was able to break through a few of those disruptive habits that I either brought with me from home or picked up from past companions. I feel better now than I've felt in a long time, my study time has been more productive, and the guidance of the Spirit has been stronger. And that is why this week was so great I guess. I still have plenty to work on of course, but I'm sure now that these last 3.5 months will be the best yet. It is also awesome to be able to see the wisdom of Heavenly Father in this, if I had stayed in Johannesburg I'm sure I'd have stayed the same until going home. It was just kind of the norm, but now that everything has changed it has given me an amazing opportunity to see where it is I need to change.

With the help of Bridger I found a new option for when I get home. WVC has two year degrees that transfer directly to WSU in horticulture, physics, mechanical engineering, and computer engineering. Pretty cool since those are the majors I'm interested in. As much as I don't really want to go to WVC it seems kind of like a smart choice since it costs next to nothing. Do that for two years, WSU for two, then go somewhere else for graduate school. What do you think? (Also this is how I understand it works, but I very well may be confused.)

For the first time in three months we are actually doing something fun for P-day. We are going on a hike! The other guys like going to the mall in Pretoria and such, but that's uhm... never really been my idea of a good time. But a hike? That'll do.

Oh, Saturday was great. We went to President Nish's home (Branch President of Witbank) and did some service. I was given a sledgehammer and told to go and destroy a bridge. Awesome. Next we lit a field on fire and controlled the burn across it. Awesome. It made me miss working.

I asked President Wilson if the mission change affected my going home date. Basically he told me I'd be a waste of space if I stayed until December haha. Not really, but that's how I took it. He says he will get back to me when he figures it out. The problem is my visa expires. So yeah. Its complicated.

Anyways that's what I got. Please make sure if you can that Joe sends me his contact details.

Love, Elder Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment